This week we discover the story behind the story: the feminist theology foundations of Irenicast. Mona welcomes to the show Kat, Jeff’s wife (whom you may remember from our family reunion episode), and a feminist theologian named Dr. Debbie Blades. Debbie has played in significant role in walking with both Mona and Kat during uneasy and challenging times of spiritual de- and re- construction. Mona, Kat, and Debbie share with listeners personal and poignant story of their feminist theology group called Gentle Thursday. They offer their understanding of the foundations of feminist theology and its significance to their lives; they also discuss the importance of language and why language has played such a central role in their work with women who don’t fit the typical mold in religious spaces.
- Kat’s first appearance on Irencast was for Irenicast Family Reunion – Welcome to Our Living Room – 043
- Kat mentions an episode in which Jeff discusses a profoundly impactful gift they received after their miscarriage. That was on Charitable Giving – With My Mind on Minding My Money – 067 at 56:42.
- Hope Deferred: Heart-Healing Reflections on Reproductive Loss by Nadine Pence Frantz (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- This book was incorrectly mentioned as being by Serene Jones, however she did write a similar article called Hope Deferred: Theological Reflections on Reproductive Loss (Infertility, Stillbirth, Miscarriage). Both resources are absolutely worth checking out.
- Feminist Theology
- Womanist Theology
- When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in the Rise of Christianity by Karen J. Torjesen (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Battered Love (Overtures to Biblical Theology) by Renita Weems (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
Thank you to Kat and Dr. Debbie for joining us this week and sharing your journeys and understanding of feminist theology.
Thank you to Mike Golin for our intro and outro music. Check out his band Soulwise.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU
Thank you for supporting the podcast! Your ratings, reviews and feedback are not only encouraging to us personally, but they help others find the show. If you appreciate the content we provide please rate, review and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and Stitcher.
Join our conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog An Irenicon
Email Us at email@example.com
Follow Us on Twitter and Google+
Like Us on Facebook
Listen & Subscribe to Us on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud and TuneIn
Speak to Us on our Feedback Page and the Post Evangelical Facebook Group
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com