In a conversation geared more toward culture than faith Jeff, Mona and Allen explore why young males are disengaging from society. Far from an agreeable conversation about things we can do to reverse this trend, this episode focused on nuanced disagreement about its primary causes. Between video games, easy access to pornography, education, economic factors and a host of other causes, is there a primary one? And more importantly, is there a solution? We finish the episode with a new segment called Staff Picks, where each host gives a few recommendations of things worth checking out.
Young Males Disengaging from Society Conversation (00:32)
Staff Picks Segment (51:29)
From Our Young Males Disengaging from Society Conversation
- The Demise of Guys (TED Talk)
- The Missing Men (Atlantic Article)
- The Great Porn Experiment (TED Talk)
- The Disappearing College Male (Forbes Article)
- Coolidge Effect (Wikipedia Article)
- Understanding Teenagers – Developing Your AdoleSENSE – 038 (Irenicast Episode)
- ‘There isn’t really anything magical about it’: Why more millennials are avoiding sex (Article)
- Japan and its birth rate: the beginning of the end or just a new beginning? (Article)
- Why Do Women Outnumber Men in College? (National Bureau of Economic Research Article)
- Ways Women Lead (Harvard Business Review Article)
From Our Staff Picks Segment
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Timecop 1983 (Music)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Us on Twitter and Google+
Like Us on Facebook
Listen & Subscribe to Us on iTunes, Google Play, Android, Stitcher, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Spreaker and SoundCloud
Speak to Us on our Feedback Page and the Post Evangelical Facebook Group
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.