Mona sits down with Lauren Andrea-Lucia to explore what it means to have multiple religious identities. Lauren grew up in Italy with a Catholic father and a Jewish mother, and finds religious and spiritual nourishment in both traditions, identifying as a dual-religious person. Lauren shares her experience of holding both religious identities together, despite their seemingly mutually-exclusive claims to truth. The conversation covers the context of the history of anti-semitism and forced conversions, and explains why the blending of Jewish and Christian religious identity – and inter-religious dialogue in general – is often difficult. She also shares her perspective on what it means to have a religious family heritage, the difference between religion and spirituality, and why ideas of time and memory are so important to faith practice.
RELEVANT LINKS – Lauren’s Book Recommends 😉
- Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- At the Mind’s Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and its Realities by Jean Amery (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Ethics of Memory by Avishai Margalit (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Two Types of Faith by Martin Buber (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Sabbath by Abraham Heschel (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Befriending the Beloved Disciple by Adele Reinhartz (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Jewish Annotated New Testament (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Jewish Jesus: How Judaism and Christianity Shaped Each Other by Peter Schäfer (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
Thank you Lauren Andrea-Lucia for sharing your story on multiple religious identities!
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Us on Twitter and Google+
Like Us on Facebook
Listen & Subscribe to Us on iTunes, Google Play, Android, Stitcher, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Spreaker and SoundCloud
Speak to Us on our Feedback Page and the Post Evangelical Facebook Group
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.
This post may contain affiliate links. An Irenicon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com