The texts we love to misquote. In this new series, Jeff and Allen will occasionally spend an episode tackling infamously out of context verses in the Bible thrown around the Christian world. This time it's a passage used by everyone from athletes to those who oppose psychology. Philippians 4:13.
Out of Context Verses Philippians 4:13 Conversation (00:59)
Judging a Book by Its Cover Segment (36:35)
Previous Episodes on the Bible
- The Nature of Biblical Texts – Wholly Scripture, Batman! – 004 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 1 – Literally Literature – 063 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 2 – A Scribed Meaning – 064 (Irenicast Episode)
- Interpreting the Bible Part 3 – Collecting Lenses – 065 (Irenicast Episode)
From Our Out of Context Verses Philippians 4:13 Conversation
- 11 Bible Verses on Tim Tebow’s Eye Black (Article)
- Nacho Libre (Film)
- You’re Not ‘Blessed’ You’re Privileged, So Shut Up (Article)
- Colin Kaepernick (Football Player)
- Nouthetic Counseling (aka Biblical Counseling
- Association of Certified Biblical Counselors (Formerly National Association of Nouthetic Counselors)
- Competent to Counsel by Jay E. Adams (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Competent to Counsel: An Interview with Jay Adams (Article)
From Our ‘Judging a Book by Its Cover’ Segment (This segment has also been done on episodes #007, #020 & #074)
- For Steam And Country by Jon Del Arroz (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- The Pocket Book of Boners (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Dr. Seuss (Author)
- The Mushroom in Christian Art: The Identity of Jesus in the Development of Christianity by John Rush (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Nipple on My Knee (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | co-host and producer | email@example.com
Jeff is the husband to an incredibly strong woman and father of two captivating young ladies. He is currently the Director of Discipleship at a United Methodist church on the central coast of California. In addition to getting his B.A. in Theology, he also received his ordination through the prestigious online organization of The Universal Life Church whose alumni include the likes of Conan O’Brien and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Jeff loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Allen O’Brien | co-host | firstname.lastname@example.org
Allen received his B.A. in Biblical Studies from The Master's College and an M.A. in Theology and Biblical Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary, making him the illegitimate child of both conservative and moderately progressive evangelicalism. He has worked in church ministry since 2006 and is currently solo-pastoring at his local UCC congregation. When not ministering, Allen throws things to his border collie Sonata and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@AllenOB) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at email@example.com
Follow Us on Twitter and Google+
Like Us on Facebook
Listen & Subscribe to Us on iTunes, Google Play, Android, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Spreaker and SoundCloud
Speak to Us on our Feedback Page and the Post Evangelical Facebook Group
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.