The witch hunts of the early modern period were served by the very things we trade in today: uncritical reception of tradition, groupthink, the impulse toward comfort and away from “otherness.” Since Halloween is just around the corner, Jeff and Allen discuss that perhaps we still hunt witches in our own time by proposing a spiritual discipline of resisting. The episode closes with a classic round of Jesus Juke. This time, they Jesus-ify Horror Film tropes.
Conversation on Are The Witch Hunts Behind Us (00:49)
Jesus Juke Horror Trope Edition (46:14)
From Our Conversation on Are the Witch Hunts Behind Us?
- Witch Village – Monty Python and the Holy Grail (YouTube Video)
- The Baby-Makin’, Prone-to-Evil, “Other” Gender: Woman. (Irenicon Blog Post by Allen)
- Heinrich Kramer (Author of Hammer of Witches, Churchman and Inquisitor)
- Jacob Sprenger (Co-Author of Hammer of Witches, Dominican Friar)
- Malleus Maleficarum aka Hammer of Witches (Treatise on witchcraft)
- Thomas Aquinas (Theologian)
- The Summa Theologica (Document)
- Aristotle's Views on Women
- Nadia Bolz-Weber (Twitter Account)
- Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link… Allen was talking about the analogy of our theology being like a trampoline, which some from this book)
- Do Humans Have Souls ? – I Challenge You To A Dualism! – 007 (Irenicast Episode on the Soul)
- Eminem Rips Donald Trump In BET Hip Hop Awards Freestyle Cypher (YouTube Video)
- Rick and Morty Forever 100 Years | Rick and Morty | Adult Swim (YouTube Video)
- Rick and Morty – I WANT THAT MULAN MCNUGGETS SAUCE MORTY (YouTube Video)
- Souad Mekhennet Was Told To Come Alone (Robcast Episode interviewing Souad Mekhennet about her interviews with ISIS members)
- I Was Told To Come Alone by Souad Mekhennet (Book – Amazon Affiliate Link)
- Jon Acuff (Author)
- The Fog (1980 and 2005 Film)
- The Mist (2007 Film)
- Small Soldiers (1998 Film)
- Forgiving is NOT Forgetting – Doing Wholly Work – 073 (Irenicast Episode with the Create-a-Cult Segment)
- Shawn of the Dead (2004 Film)
Thank you for listening to Irenicast. If you appreciate the show please consider sharing your appreciation by rating, reviewing and/or subscribing to the podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or whatever platform you’re listening on.
You can also help support the show financially by going to irenicast.com/amazon to do your Amazon shopping. This will cost you nothing, but Amazon will give a portion of the proceeds to the show.
Jeff Manildi | co-host and producer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff is the husband to an incredibly strong woman and father of two captivating young ladies. He is currently the Director of Discipleship at a United Methodist church on the central coast of California. In addition to getting his B.A. in Theology, he also received his ordination through the prestigious online organization of The Universal Life Church whose alumni include the likes of Conan O’Brien and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Jeff loves all things that tell a story: people, movies, tv, music, comics, etc.
Allen O’Brien | co-host | email@example.com
Allen received his B.A. in Biblical Studies from The Master's College and an M.A. in Theology and Biblical Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary, making him the illegitimate child of both conservative and moderately progressive evangelicalism. He has worked in church ministry since 2006 and is currently solo-pastoring at his local UCC congregation. When not ministering, Allen throws things to his border collie Sonata and writes for multiple platforms.
You can follow Allen (@AllenOB) on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Good Reads. Also if you are in the Sacramento, CA area check out Allen’s brick and mortar version of this podcast called Intersections.
ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE CONVERSATION
Join our post-evangelical conversations on faith and culture by interacting with us through the following links:
Read Us on our blog Irenicon
Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Us on Twitter and Google+
Like Us on Facebook
Listen & Subscribe to Us on iTunes, Google Play, Android, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Spreaker and SoundCloud
Speak to Us on our Feedback Page and the Post Evangelical Facebook Group
See Us on Instagram
Support Us on Amazon
Intro and Outro music created by Mike Golin.